Arianna escaped the horrors of her father's house and survived the treacherous journey over the mountain and all of the dangers she faced with the orcs and elves who wanted to kill or control her. But her new husband, Bolthorn, is now worried about his missing brother and Arianna feels completely inadequate for the responsibilities that will fall on her shoulders as Gythja - leader with her husband of the Hrimthursar clan. Add to that the new powers she doesn't quite understand and a baby on the way and Arianna is facing a lot of uncertainty. Can she and Bolthorn rescue his brother and cousin without losing themselves in the process? And can Arianna face her past and break free of the hold her father still has on her?
This book is available today so go buy it!
Check out more about Amalia at her blog or on GoodReads, follow her on Twitter, or like her page on Facebook.
You can also check out our other posts related to Amalia's books.
Now check out the 10 things I loved about Blood of the Queen. I've avoided spoilers of this book, but it is a sequel, so if you haven't read the first book, just be aware I'll most likely be spoiling that one to some extent :)
- The worldbuilding - Amalia does a great job crafting this complex, political world with four different races without it feeling overwhelming or info-dumping. I like the way she weaves in all the little details about cultures and customs throughout the story.
- Arianna - I like the way everything isn't all perfect because Arianna escapes her father and finds the love of her life. She's still an individual with a lot of baggage and issues to deal with along with personal strengths that help drive her forward. She's well-rounded and enjoyable to watch grow.
- Bolthorn - It was nice getting to learn a bit more about him, even if the focus was on Arianna. I love the way he loves Arianna and sees the best in her. But he's well-rounded as well with his own flaws and struggles to work through and deal with.
- Their relationship - Although there is a lot of other stuff going on, Arianna and Bolthorn's relationship is still a central piece of the drama. Their relationship is impacted and impacts the larger political upheavals taking place. In addition, they're a couple dealing with the shift into being a partnership and the work of being a couple with ups and downs, disagreements, and trying to figure out how to deal together with all of the things they face. It's nice to see the couple after the traditional fairy tale ending.
- Isolfur - I really loved getting to know more about the water horse. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil anything, but I found this aspect of the story quite fascinating.
- Isabel and Rodric - It was so interesting seeing this piece of Arianna's past and the things that are revealed through these two people who mean so much to her.
- The magic - I was really interested in the way the magic was explored further with its own rules and with Arianna's struggle to understand how things work and what the cost is.
- More information about Sinmarra - I like the way that this was built from the previous book and I'm excited to see where it goes in the next one. I know that's super vague, but spoilers!
- The cliffhanger - oh the cliffhanger. Okay, so the book is complete and the quest they set out on was completed in its way, but so many questions. So many many questions and I need to know the answers!
- So much potential - I don't think a third book has been confirmed officially but there has to be another one. There has to be because I need to know what happens! And, the way it ended it's pretty much confirming that there is more to this story. I want so much more of this world.
Update: I forgot to mention that I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. That had no bearing on my review - I really loved it this much :)
Thank you so much! (Normally I do not respond to reviews in comments but I just wanted to reassure you that there DEFINITELY will be a book three!!) :D
Yes, yes, Yyyeeesssss!!! I agree with all points! Isolfur! I couldn't tell if I wanted to kiss him or kill him and I went back and forth several times! Eagerly awaiting book 3! ♡♡♡
Post a Comment